Diving into the scary world of freelancing brings several uncertainties.
Will you make enough money? How will you find clients? What happens if you have a slow month?
If you’ve been thinking about becoming a freelancer, then there are some questions you need to ask yourself if you want to create and grow a successful freelance business.
One of the most important things that you can do before you start freelancing is actually research your field. I’m not talking about spending 5 minutes on Google, but I’m also not saying that you need to spend hours on research.
You must be able to find a happy medium of research that will allow you to gain a full understanding of your field.
“Devote some time to scoping out your field.
If you can find anybody who’s currently working as a freelancer, offer to take them out for coffee in return for picking their brain.
Nothing’s more invaluable than first-hand perspective.
There are many questions to ask yourself as you research. Here are a few considerations:
- Where do freelancers in this field find jobs / gigs / clients?
- What is the typical hourly rate for freelancers in this field?
- What skills do freelancers in this field need? (hint: look at job postings, and see what skills they list)
- What materials do freelancers in this field need in order to land clients?
- What are COMPLEMENTARY skills that help [freelancers in this field] succeed?”
Read the full post at Freelancers Union.